PROFESSOR • ACADEMIC DIRECTOR, CENTRE OF URBAN ENERGY
Dr. Bala Venkatesh is a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Academic Director of the Centre of Urban Energy at Ryerson University.
Before joining Ryerson University in 2008, Dr. Venkatesh worked at Crompton Greaves, Mumbai, India in the Large Power Transformer division in 1993. Later, he worked as a Lecturer in Anna University, India from 1994 to 2000, as an Associate Professor in Multimedia University, Malaysia from 2001 to 2004 and as Associate Professor in the University of New Brunswick from 2005 to 2007.
Dr. Venkatesh is a Senior Member of the IEEE and a registered Professional Engineer in the province of Ontario, Canada.
Dr. Venkatesh's research focuses on Power Systems Analysis and Optimization. He specializes in Fuzzy Optimization applications to Power Systems. He has successfully applied his research outcomes in several consulting projects in India and Canada. His research output has resulted in about 100 papers of which about 50 appear in refereed journals. He holds several individual research grants research grants in excess of 10 millions of dollars. At Ryerson, he heads the Power and Energy Analysis Research Lab.
- P. Yu and B. Venkatesh, Fuzzy Security Constraints for Unit Commitment with Outages, IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Accepted, April 2013.
- C. Opathello and B. Venkatesh, Managing Uncertainty of Wind Energy with Wind Generators Cooperative, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Accepted 2012.
- C. Opathello, D. Cheng, B. N. Singh, B. Venkatesh, Intelligent Wind Generator Models for Power Flow Studies in PSSE and PSSSINCAL, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Accepted July 26, 2012.
- M. Dadkhah and B. Venkatesh, Cumulant based Stochastic Reactive Power Planning method for Distribution Systems with Wind Generators, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 27(4): 2351-2359,
- R. Ghaffari and B. Venkatesh, Options based Reserve Procurement Strategy for Wind Generators— Using Binomial Trees, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Accepted, June 28, 2012.
- P. Yu and B. Venkatesh, A Practical Real-time OPF method Using New Triangular Approximate Model of Wind Electric Generators, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 27(4): 2036-2046, 2012.
EE 8403 Advanced Topics in Power Systems