Professor • Fellow, Royal Society of Canada • NSERC Industrial Research Chair in Power Electronics • Ryerson Research Chair
Bin Wu graduated from Donghua University, Shanghai, China in 1978, and received his MASc and PhD degrees in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Toronto, Canada, in 1989 and 1993, respectively. After being with Rockwell Automation Canada as a Senior Engineer from 1992 to 1993, he joined Ryerson University, where he is currently a Professor and NSERC/Rockwell Industrial Research Chair (IRC) in Power Electronics and Electric Drives.
Dr. Wu has been collaborating closely with Canadian companies, including Rockwell Automation Canada and Honeywell Aerospace Canada, assisting them in achieving technical and commercial success through research and new product development. He has published more than 280 technical papers, authored/co-authored two Wiley-IEEE Press books, and holds over 20 issued/pending patents in the areas of power electronics, medium voltage drives, and renewable energy systems.
Dr. Wu served as an Associate Chair of Technical Program Committee, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE) in 2004, Chair of Technical Program Committee, the 7th IEEE Canada Electric Power Conference (EPC) in 2007, Chair of Power Symposium Committee, IEEE CCECE in 2008, Co-Chair of Technical Program Committee, IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEMDC) in 2011. He was a Guest Editor of IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics Special Section on High Power Drives in 2007 and on Modulation Techniques for DC to AC Power Converters in 2011. Dr. Wu has served as an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics since 2005.
Power electronics, variable-speed drives, renewable energy, electric vehicle charging technology, and microgrid.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada, 2017
- Outstanding Researcher Award, Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ryerson University, 2010
- Professor of the Year, Electrical & Computer Engineering Graduate Student Association, Ryerson University, 2010
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2008
- Fellow, Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC), 2008
- Fellow, Canadian Academy of Engineering (CAE), 2008
- NSERC/Rockwell Industrial Research Chair in Power Electronics and Electric Drives, since 2006
- Ryerson Research Chair, 2004-2006
- Ryerson Sarwan Sahota Distinguished Scholar Award, Ryerson University, 2003
- Synergy Award for Innovation, NSERC and the Conference Board of Canada, 2002
- Premier's Research Excellence Award, Ministry of Energy, Science and Technology of Ontario, 2001
- Gold Medal of the Governor General of Canada, awarded at the University of Toronto, 1990
- Science & Technology Achievement Award, Ministry of Textile Industry, China, 1987
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Donghua (China Textile) University, 1985