Dr. Smith specializes in Biomedical Engineering at Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada. He was Biomedical Engineering Program Director in 2010/11 and Biomedical Engineering Stream Coordinator from 2008 to 2010 and 2011 to 2013 at Ryerson University.
His research combines aspects of biomechanics and robotics, with active research projects in legged systems, obstetrics and surgical systems. Dr. Smith teaches courses in biomedical engineering, microprocessors, sensing and measurement. In addition to teaching awards received at the University of Alberta, he is a recipient or co-recipient of four IEEE Real World Engineering Projects awards from 2007 to 2010. He was co-recipient of second place in the IDEO-organized design competition at the 2012 Healthcare Innovation Conference in Houston, Texas.
At Ryerson University Dr. Smith teaches or has taught BME 100 -- Introduction to Biomedical Engineering, ELE 604 -- Sensors and Measurement (lab guide), BME 538 Microprocessor Systems (completely redesigned in Fall 2013), BME 8215 Human-Computer Interfaces (Winter 2014), and ELE 302 Electric Circuits.
Dr. Smith received BSc and MSc degrees in Electrical Engineering at the University of Alberta in 1998 and 2001, respectively. In 2006 he completed a PhD in Mechanical Engineering at McGill University. His PhD focused on developing the world's first galloping robots. From 2006 to 2008 he conducted research on legged systems at the University of Jena's Lauflabor Locomotion Laboratory in Jena, Germany.
Postdoc, Sports Science (2006 - 2008)
University of Jena, Germany
Biarticular Muscle-Tendon Complexes
PhD, Mechanical Engineering (2007)
McGill University, Canada
Galloping, Bounding & Hybrid Wheeled-Leg Locomotion
BSc & MSc, Electrical Engineering (1998 & 2001)
University of Alberta, Canada
Seismic Surveying Robots
- Medical Physics Program Advisory Committee, Ryerson University (2014 - present)
- Biology Program Peer Review Committee, Ryerson University (2014)
- Biomedical Enginering Program Director, Ryerson University (2010 - 2011)
- Biomedical Engineering Stream Coordinator, Ryerson University (2008 - 2010, 2011 - 2013)
- Hobby Electronics Club Faculty Advisor, Ryerson University, Faculty Advisor (2009 - present)
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), Student Chapter Ryerson UniversityFaculty Advisor (2010 - present)
- Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO)
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), Faculty Advisor
- Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada (SOGC)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)