- Only topics that have not been already selected can be selected online.
- A topic may only be reserved by one team of THREE students.
- All three team members must be in the same program (either ELE or COE).
- Each team will only be able to choose topics from their Category of Interest based on the third-year student Topic Intention Survey.
- Once a team of THREE students has reserved a topic, they WILL NOT be permitted to change their selection.
- There are two types of FLCs: full-time and part time.
- An FLC may have as many topics available for reservation as they wish. BUT...
- A full-time FLC can supervise a maximum of 6 groups (a maximum of 6 of this FLCs topics may be selected).
- A part-time FLC can supervise a maximum OF 3 groups (a maximum of 3 of this FLCs topics may be selected).
- Once the maximum number of topics for an FLC are selected; i.e. 6 topics for for full-time and 3 topics for a part-time FLC, ALL REMAINING TOPICS (IF THE FLC HAS MORE THAN 6 TOPICS POSTED) WILL BE UNAVAILABLE FOR SELECTION.
Topic Selection is done in two batches: the first batch lets teams with Topic Intention to select a topic in their area of interest; the second batch teams selects from the topics that remain (which may or may not be in their area of interest) after the all teams in the first batch have topics.
FIRST BATCH SELECTION (FOR THOSE TEAMS WITH TOPIC INTENTION)
- The COE/ELE 700 students will divide into teams of three students.
- The course-coordinator will announce the topic selection website before the start of Week 5.
- During each reservation period each 3-student team will be shown available topics in their chosen Category of Interest from which they will choose 3 topics in order of preference.
- At the end of each day of the reservation period, the day's submissions will be processed and the results will be posted online (on this page) by 6PM, along with the remaining EDP topics available for selection in the second round for those groups that were not able to select a topic of their choice.
- Any team unable to reserve any one of their three choices will make a new a submission (on the following day) with 3 new EDP topics chosen from the list of remaining topics (in their Category of Interest) in order of preference.
- This process will continue until all groups that pre-selected a category get a topic.
SECOND BATCH SELECTION (FOR THOSE TEAMS WITHOUT TOPIC INTENTION)
- Second Batch Selection begins after First Batch is completed.
- The start of Second Batch Selection will be announced on the Capstone homepage and via D2L mailing list.
- Any remaining groups that did not pre-select a Category of Interest will then be allowed to select a topic (they will be asked for three choices) from all the remaining topics.
TABULATION OF RESULTS
At the end of each day during reservation week all submitted reservations will be shuffled to randomize the time of submission (meaning that a group that submits at 8:01AM will have the same chance as one that submits at 4:59PM) and will then be processed in three passes:
- PASS 1: all the first choices will be processed; if the chosen topic is available, it will be assigned.
- PASS 2: teams not able to reserve a topic in the first pass, will have their second choice processed; if the chosen topic is available, it will be assigned.
- PASS 3: teams not able to reserve a topic in the second pass, will have their third choice processed; if the chosen topic is available, it will be assigned.
The results of the tabulating will be posted on this page by 6PM; the topic list will be updated to show remaining topics available in subsequent rounds.
Any team that was unable to reserve any of their 3 choices, will make one new reservation submission during the following week with 3 new EDP topic choices, from the list of remaining topics.
TOPIC RESERVATION FORM
Each team of three students should only submit ONE reservation. The form will not accept reservations outside the reservation times.
A BUTTON LINKING TO THE TOPIC SELECTION FORM WILL BE AVAILABLE HERE BEFORE TOPIC SELECTION BEGINS.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The topic reservation form will only be accessible from workstations within the ELCE labs: ENG 306, 307, 308, 406, 408, 409, 411, 412, 413; it will NOT be accessible from your home computer; it will NOT be accessible from the campus-wide wireless network and it will NOT be accessible from other computers on the University campus.