Professor • Interim Associate Chair, Graduate Studies
Alagan Anpalagan received the B.A.Sc. M.A.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Toronto, Canada. He joined the ELCE Department at Ryerson University in 2001 and was promoted to Full Professor in 2010. He served the department as Graduate Program Director (2004-09) and the Interim EE Program Director (2009-10). During his sabbatical, he was a Visiting Professor at Asian Institute of Technology and Visiting Researcher at Kyoto University. Dr. Anpalagan's industrial experience includes working at Bell Mobility, Nortel Networks and IBM Canada.
Dr. Anpalagan directs a research group working on radio resource management (RRM) and radio access & networking (RAN) areas within WINCORE Lab. He served as Editor for the IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials and IEEE Communications Letters. He co-edited Design and Deployment of Small Cell Networks, Cambridge University Press (2015), Routing in Opportunistic Networks, Springer (2013), Handbook on Green Information and Communication Systems, Academic Press (2012).
Dr. Anpalagan served as TPC Co-Chair, IEEE Globecom'15: SAC Green Communication and Computing, IEEE WPMC'12 Wireless Networks, IEEE PIMRC'11 Cognitive Radio and Spectrum Management. He served as IEEE Canada Central Area Chair (2013-15), IEEE Toronto Section Chair (2006-07), ComSoc Toronto Chapter Chair (2004-05), IEEE Canada Professional Activities Committee Chair (2009-11). He is a Registered Professional Engineer in the province of Ontario, IEEE Senior Member and Fellow of Institution of Engineering and Technology.
Radio resource management, green communication, energy harvesting technologies, small cell and heterogeneous networks, cognitive and cooperative communication, machine-to-machine communication, smart grid and smart homes, wireless sensor networks, cross-layer design, performance modeling, analysis and optimization.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- IEEE Canada Outstanding Engineering Educator Medal (2018)
- Yeates SGS Outstanding Contribution to Graduate Education Award (2017)
- Faculty Scholastic, Research and Creativity (SRC) Awards (2010/13/16)
- IEEE Canada M. B. Broughton Central Canada Merit Medal (2016)
- Fellow, Institution of Engineering and Technology (2015)
- Exemplary Editor Award, IEEE Communications Society (2013)
- FEAS Dean's Teaching Award (2011)
- IEEE Ryerson GSA Professor of the Year Award (2009)
- IEEE ComSoc Chapter Achievement Award (2004)