The Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) are meant to nurture your interest and fully develop your potential for a research career in the natural sciences and engineering. They are also meant to encourage you to undertake graduate studies in these fields. If you would like to gain research work experience that complements your studies in an academic setting, these awards can provide you with financial support through your host university. NSERC encourages qualified Aboriginal students to apply for this award.
HOW TO APPLY TO THE NSERC UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT RESEARCH AWARDS
Individual student applications are not to be submitted to (and will not be accepted by) OVPRI. Applications are to be submitted through the designated supervisor's department/school.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY FOR USRA
- be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada;
- be registered at the time of application in a Bachelor's degree program at an eligible university;
- have obtained over the previous years of study a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY TO HOLD USRA
- have completed all of the course requirements of at least the first year of university study (2 academic terms) of bachelor's degree;
- have been registered in at least one of the two terms immediately before holding the award in a bachelor's degree program at an eligible university;
- NOT have started a program of graduate studies in the natural sciences or engineering at any time;
- be engaged on a full-time basis in research and development activities in natural sciences or engineering during the tenure of the award.
Currently holding an active NSERC research grant (e.g. Discovery, Strategic, Research Partnership grant) either at the time of submission of the USRA application or during the time the student holds the award (May – September 2018).
TENURE OF THE USRA
Between May – September 2018 for a period of 16 weeks/560 hours, full-time (Monday through Friday).
VALUE OF THE USRA
$4,500 from NSERC plus University Supervisor supplement. The minimum award value for 2018 is $9,016 for 560 hours over the 16 weeks. [Minimum hourly rate of $14/hr plus 15% mandatory benefits], a higher supplement may be offered at the discretion of the Supervisor/Department/Faculty.
March 1, 2018
NOTE: Students MUST submit their application to their selected faculty member, who will in turn submit to the department by March 1, 2018.