- 2019-Present, Visiting Scientist, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- 2018-Present, President & Co-founder, Magellan Biomedical Inc.
- 2016-2019, Postdoctoral Fellow, Sunnybrook Research Institute, University of Toronto
- 2012-Present, President & Co-founder, Vital Biomedical Technologies Inc.
- 2015-2016, Medical Innovation Fellow, University of Minnesota/Western University
- 2010-2015, Ph.D, Biomedical Engineering, Robarts Research Institute, Western University
My research focuses on image guided therapy. With an ultimate goal of technology transfer, I aim to address unmet needs in minimally invasive image guided interventions through the design and development of novel medical systems and devices followed by their preclinical and clinical evaluation. Specific areas of interest are: image guided cardiovascular interventions, medical imaging instrumentation, medical systems and devices, medical robotics and mechatronics.
- M. A. Tavallaei, G. Wright, J. Zhou, E. Lam, “System and Method for Device Steering, Tracking, and Navigation of Devices for Interventional Procedures” PCT/US19/30142, 2019, Assigned to Magellan Biomedical Inc.
- M. A. Tavallaei, T. Roy, J. Zhou, G. Wright, “Performance Assessment of a Radiofrequency Powered Guidewire for Crossing Peripheral Arterial Occlusions Based on Lesion Morphology”, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2018, DOI 10.1007/s10439-018-2021-y.
- A. Campbell, M. A. Tavallaei, M. Pop, H. Chubb, K. Rhode, G. Wright, “Real-Time MRI Guidance of Cardiac Interventions”, Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 2017, DOI 10.1002/jmri.25749.
- M. A. Tavallaei, S. F. Atashzar, M. Drangova, “Robust Motion Control of Ultrasonic Motors under Temperature Disturbance”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2016, DOI 10.1109/TIE.2015.2499723.
- M. A. Tavallaei, D. Gelman, M. K. Lavdas, A. C. Skanes, D. L. Jones, J. S. Bax, M. Drangova, “Design, Development and Evaluation of a Compact Tele-Robotic Catheter Navigation System”, International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, 2015, DOI 10.1002/rcs.1711.